Monday, June 4, 2012

Jane Goodall


Back in the 70's and early 80's I used to absorb copies of National Geographic like a sponge soaking up anything I could animal related. I was always in the library looking up back issues or borrowing them from my geography teacher. One of my favorite's was the British primatologist and anthropologist, Jane Goodall. Back then I was a big fan of Louis Leakey, so Goodall was a logical next step for my interests. National Geographic always seemed to have plenty of articles about her and the research being done, so I always seemed to have access to her world in a vicarious way.

She always seemed to be a decent human being who brought a sense of compassion to the scientific community. Why more people don't admire this women is beyond me. She was definitely an important person in my formative years and I still have a great deal of respect for her and the work that her institute is doing.

A suggested book to read is The Ten Trusts by Goodall and Marc Bekoff.

No comments: