Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Martin

I really can't stand Martin Lawrence (except for Nothing To Lose, that was funny), but I thought I'd throw this out there before somebody beat me to the punch. It has happened. Just a sketch, though, not sure if I'll do this up proper.

Monday, January 25, 2016

How We Built A Weathervane, Part Seven

Continuing on with the latest installment on how we built the Belle Isle Aquarium weathervane.

The two halves of the plaster gar are now cleaned up and ready for the next step.

This is the anal fin, which was done in two halves and needed to be glued together for the next step.

With the first plaster casts done, our attention was now put on the electric eels. Here the same procedure as was done to the gar is done here. The metal flashings are placed right down the middle all the way around.

The first half of the plaster now done. Time to make one for the second half.

Here is the plaster casting of one of the halves.

Now, we needed to make the second plaster castings for the pouring of the aluminum. Boxes put together once again.

Here, Leslie Cislo is prepping the the second half pouring. The bottom molds have already been made, as you can see.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Jar Jar Fett

colored pencil and marker on matt board

Or is it Boba Binks? I had started this drawing quite some time ago while at a convention, goofing off with some like minded folks and just recently finally finished it. Yes, I know, so worth the wait.

Monday, January 18, 2016

How We Built A Weathervane, Part Six

This is the sixth installment of the making of the Belle Isle Aquarium weathervane. We left off the last time with the plaster molds and will continue with that. Below are the  next steps that were taken with the making of said plaster molds.

This one of the pectoral fins.

Applying the plaster for the second half.

All of the fins after the plaster has dried and the clay is being removed.

Cleaning up the plaster mold of the dorsal fin.

The other half of the dorsal fin.

The wood box has been removed and the gar halves are ready to be separated. 

Separation complete and the clean up is needed.

The other half before the clay was removed. 

One half all cleaned up. 

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Star Wars Sketch Cover (General Akbar)

This is a drawing that I did while at the Star Wars Days at the River's Edge Gallery last month. I thought it turned out rather well, so I'll color it. I just wanted to show it beforehand.

Thanks to John Marroquin for the cover!

Monday, January 11, 2016

How We Built A Weathervane, Part Five

This is the fifth installment on how we made the Belle isle Aquarium weathervane. At this point, all of the clay work has been completed and now the attention has been turned towards making the plaster molds.

Here, Giorgio is elevating the clay gar to what will be the half way mark for the wood box that will be put around the fish, so that we can make molds of both sides.

The straw was put in to mark the halfway point of the gar and then metal flashings were cut and begun to be placed around the entire shape.

In this pic, the metal flashings are just about complete. All gaps were covered to ensure that no plaster leaked through to the other side.

Here, the plaster is just about done. You can see the curving of the gar's body. That was covered so no shape was discernible once finished.

Separate molds were made for all of the fins, as well. 

One side is completed, now to pour the plaster for the second half. "knuckle" indentations were made so that the two haves once dry would line up properly.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Star Wars Hi-Tek Sketch Cards, Part Two

Here are more of the cards that I did for the Star Wars Hi-Tek set put out by Topps. More Star Wars Rebels, for ya.

Monday, January 4, 2016

How We Built A Weathervane, Part Four

As the gar was tightening up and getting to where it needed to be, the focus shifted next to the electric eels design element that would be part of the directionals below the gar.

Since we would be casting an aluminum copy of the eel, it was necessary to build only one of the four, as they would all be hammered in copper over the same casting. Here, the eel is blocked out in a simple shape in foam.

Next up, the foam eel was coated in clay to begin the details.

Working on the eyes, gills and fins.

Refined some small details and made minor adjustments here and there.

The gar with fins set aside, as they would be cast separately and the eel. Ready now for plaster!