Monday, April 9, 2012

Gustav Klimt

Gustav Klimt was one of those painters that had to percolate within me for awhile. Years ago, he didn't inspire me all too much, but when I finally did immerse myself into the world of Klimt, I found one filled with inspirations and beauty that I couldn't begin to imagine. The very thing that turned me off about him was the very thing that pulled me in. The gold leaf, the gold colors. Has there been another artist outside of eastern orthodox religious art that has used gold so effectively in their works? I'm not too sure that there has been one. At least not for me there hasn't.

The Faculty Paintings alone were works of pure genius in their imaginative scope and even his landscapes were great examples of expressing solitude and serenity, all while his other works were filled with activity and symbolism.

And you just have to love this eccentric fellow who painted in robes and liked his cats and went rowing in the summertime.

Contact the River's Edge Gallery in Wyandotte, MI for any info regarding these originals.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Thanks, Anonymous! It's nice to hear something on this one, as I thought of what I could do to make it better.