Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Second Star Character Model



As I was drawing (and now inking) issue #2 of my Second Star comic I was becoming a bit frustrated with the way that I drew the character Holden from the front and then to a profile view. I've never been happy with that transition. It was the hair that was throwing me off. I had a similar way of doing things way back when, when I was doing a comic strip called Wade's World. So, I decided to fix that for future issues. I made a small bust of Holden so that I could see the transition from front to side, to see how that flop of hair looked from different angles. From the front, he looks the same, but now the issue from the side is solved. And I'm hoping that the drawings take on a more sculptural look to them, even though they are very cartoony. 

So, shall I do some more sculpting for all of the characters? Probably so. Many problems can be solved, not just with the shapes, but lighting, as well. 

Oh, and I changed that cowlick on the back of the head some. 

No comments: