Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gustave Dore



One of the best black and white illustrators ever, Gustave Dore (1832-1883) was hugely popular in his own time, his services constantly in demand. He illustrated all of the best tales of the time, including The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Paradise Lost, The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, to name but a few.

For me, as with so many others, I'm sure, it's all about that beautiful and intricate line work. I could get lost in there and have many a times. I can only imagine the amount of planning that Dore must have gone through to lay out all of the line work, thick and thin to get the most impact in depth and lighting and atmosphere. And any and all artists should study his works for his compositions, as well. Truly a master of line, form and composition and one I draw a great deal of inspiration from.

No comments: