Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sketches

Last week I found myself in the city of Hamilton, Ohio with a day and a half to kill, so I decided to check out the Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park and the Museum of Ancient Sculpture located on the park grounds. I enjoyed both of these places, as I could wander around the 265 acres of woodland, ponds and a ton of sculptures viewing everything at my leisure. The museum was small, but just right. The collection ranged from Egyptian, Syrian, Etruscan, Greek and Roman.

So, I spent my time there taking pictures and sketching. Above are a few and on the left is a sketch of one of the menhir type sculptures from Jon Isherwood's, The Age of Stone. On the right are a few sketches from the museum, mostly from some Roman sculptures.

You can check out their website here.

4 comments:

Merisi said...

Hi, Bruce!

I have not been over here for so long, what a shame it is, with all you have been up to!

I enjoyed my visit here, scrolling and leafing through your "Older Posts" section. I love the picture you posted on December 30, taken on a chilly morning near your home. I had to look twice, it looks so otherworldly beautiful.

Have you always have Kierkegaard on your profile?
Ways back, for a little while, I had my own Kierkegaard quote on mine:
"The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed."
I deleted it at some point.

I have now done what I thought I'd never do: Started a "Reader" list and you are the very first blogger I added to it.

Best wishes from across a Muck Pond, or two,
Merisi

Bruce said...

Hey, Merisi!

I'm so glad that you stopped by! I'm just as guilty with not visiting all my blogs. It seems like there is always something to look at!

That picture came out just right, I thought. I was standing on a bridge when I took that and I think that it summed up a perfect ending to autumn.

I've had that Kierkegaard quote up for maybe a year now. I've always thought that that was a good one to keep in mind. That quote that you said was in a book that I recently read by Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush. He was talking about Hemingway and his suicide and what we didn't see. I'm not sure if he said if it was from Kierkegaard though. And just before that, I had a conversation with a friend about those who commit suicide and I was trying to explain it in that way, what we don't see what is lost.

Thanks for the comments, Merisi, and I'll be visiting yours shortly!

Merisi said...

That Kierkegaard quote is often cited without identifying it as such. A few years back I chanced upon it in a book by a German writer. She did not mention where it came from and I read a few book critics about that book where she was actually praised for that clever thought. Such is the state of the world. ;-)

Bruce said...

Funny that you should mention someone who was praised for someone else's quote, as I just recently read where someone wrote a book about just that. Plus, how many quotes are really butchered by people and then somehow get into the mainstream as legit.