Monday, February 4, 2019

Thomas Hart Benton


This here is my most recent watercolor portrait of one of my favorite painters, Thomas Hart Benton. Benton was a regionalist painter who seemed to age like his face was a relic of weather worn strata. I tried to capture that here. He looked like he could chew through anything.

Yet, his paintings were fluid, languid and a palette all his own. He depicted life as it was and that irked a lot of people. As with a lot of people whose work I admire, i never really think that Benton would have liked a person like me much, but the more I learn about him the less I think of him like that. He painted interesting scenes and characters and in turn was an interesting character himself.

This watercolor, as well as others that I have posted here will be in a small show soon. Details forthcoming.

No comments: